Top Social

Ten Pin Linky - Science & Social Studies

7/10/2013
I absolutely love Ashley's Top Ten Pin Linky!  It gives me a chance to go through my pin boards so I don't forget all the wonderful ideas I've pinned.  If you haven't been linking up, you should!  

\
Click the pictures to go to the sites!

My first pin I'm excited about...I just bought this yesterday:
Amazon.com: The Magic School Bus: The Complete Series: Lily Tomlin, Daniel DeSanto, Erica Luttrell, Maia Filar, Tara Meyer, Larry Jacobs, Charles E. Bastien: Movies & TV
I saw on facebook yesterday that it was only $29.  Earlier this summer, I had looked at it but it was much closer to $50 so when I saw it yesterday, I bought it.  When I went back to get the link for the picture, it is back up to $45.  {If you follow me on facebook, you had a heads up about the price jumping.  If you don't, would you?  Please? Thanks!)  
Back to the dvds, last year, I watched a few of these with my students.  They learned SO MUCH from these videos.  I recently went to a conference on Autism and the biggest tip was using video modeling to teach students with autism. {Confession: This made me feel so much better about all of the movies we watched last year!}  These videos are super entertaining for all my kids but they are especially helpful for my students with autism.  

I have a bunch of pins like this one...Ginger from Ginger snaps organized picture books by topic:
Ginger Snaps: Favorite Science Books! Science Week!
Go check them out!  

I think this would be really cool to get this and put it on our window.  Great for life cycles!
This would be cool on the kitchen window....or the classroom window!

And how fun would this be to do?  I'll do this during our animal adaptations unit.
Cover hand in shortening to demonstrate how fat keeps animals warm in winter. kids LOVE this experiment.

In my school, we use QPEOC (Question, Predict, Experiemnt, Observation, Conclusion) for the scientific method.  I made these posters & a science journal to use last year.  I love having them keep their science things together.  I'll be updating this soon for next year.
Simple science journal with posters taking kids through the scientific process

How fun would this be to make as a class?  If you have a TON of broken crayons you might be able to do one per kid (small jars).  It's a candle!  You put the wick in, fill with crayons & leave outside for the sun to melt the wax!
Sun melted crayon CANDLE - Fun Summer project for kids
Communities is the biggest part of my social studies curriculum for all 3 grade levels.  I like the idea of making towns with paper bags instead of sticky milk cartons, easier to decorate too.
Make suburban, urban, and rural towns!!

With 3 full curriculums to get through, I need to incorporate science and social studies into ELA. That's why I love these Magic Tree House books & the book companions that go with them: 
Revolutionary War on Wednesday...a book companion to go along with the Magic Tree House book... included comp questions, graphic organizer, classroom posters!

This is my FAVORITE book for teaching map skills:
Cute children's book about maps-"There's a Map on My Lap!: All about Maps"

Every year, the third graders make salt dough maps of China.  I like that they color coded this one:
3D Salt Sough maps

I have some new ideas that I'm off to start working on :)

Post Comment
Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!