Top Social

Autism Tip

12/22/2011
Since this is a special ed blog, I figured I should probably post something special ed related every once in a while!  This year, one of my students with autism has been complaining about the lights bothering him.  Fluorescent lights can be very troublesome to students with autism and these lights are everywhere!  The lights hum and flicker all the time, not just when they are about to go out, and it causes sensory overload for some kids.  While Christmas shopping, I grabbed 6 sets of cheap white Christmas lights ($2.70 at Christmas Tree Shoppes) and some command hooks and here is what I ended up with: 


I need to go back and make them straighter now that they have stretched out but these go all the way around my room.  It doesn't add a ton of light (it did in my tiny apartment bedroom) but it's a good start.  I'm going to look for cute, cheap lamps to place around the room as well.  These are not just for Christmas - they are staying up all year!  The student who was having trouble was ecstatic!  As an added bonus, I love being in my room when the lights are on.  If you have students with autism, you may want to try alternative lighting as well.  

On an unrelated note...I'M FINALLY ON BREAK! :) I need this time to get caught up on work and to reorganize before the second half of this year which will include: 
-Student teaching (for my masters)
-Two grad school classes
-Writing a research paper that must be submitted to a professional journal
-My 3-year district portfolio is due
-Applying for tenure
-& teaching! 

Merry Christmas!

4 comments on "Autism Tip"
  1. I teach an inclusion class and one of my students is Autistic. I never had thought about the lights bothering him. I am going to be looking for some lights on sale after Christmas now.

    Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tip! I never have my lights on, but have filled my classroom with lambs from ikea! Lamps create a more welcoming environment and reduces problem behaviors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas!!!! Hope you're enjoying a day full of love & laughter surrounded by loved ones!!!

    I've got your Christmas gift waiting for you!!!!! Come unwrap it ♥
    http://www.ateacherstreasure.com/2011/12/treasured-gift-happy-holidays.html

    ❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!