Saturday, February 23, 2013

100th Day of School

Tuesday was our 100th day of school!  I had the K-1 class join mine to do activities all day.  I finally remembered to take pictures!

Here a student is making a picture using cut outs of 100.

This group of littles are making a castle using 100 cups.  It fell down so they made a tower instead.  Hands down, this was everyones favorite activity!

These guys are building something with 100 legos.

We put 10 dots on 10 strips of paper and attached them to a sentence strip for our 100 day hats.

This student is working on her 100 book.  The prompts were: I wish I had 100, I wouldn't want 100, I could eat 100, I couldn't eat 100, and If I had $100 I would buy...

We also did skip counting to 100 puzzles, made strung 100 cheerios onto string, and did a making words sheet with the words "Hundred Days".  

This was a fun day for the kids {and for me}...we all needed a break from the regular routine and stress from upcoming annual reviews.

Friday, February 8, 2013

Centers {Finally}

I feel like I've talked and thought about centers for MONTHS!  I've actually done 2 different systems.  This post is my first system.  I started with a Daily 5 type set up.  I made each student a laminated card:

The read to self center is self explanitory.  I also had students listen to a story and do a response sheet.  They could build words at the word work center.  In the work on writing center, students could write recipes, comics, letters, or make their own books.  The last center was sight words where they worked 1 on 1 with an adult on learning their sight words.

On the back of each card, I velcro-d the students picture.  Students could choose the order they wanted to do the centers in.  They just stuck their picture to the center poster which were hanging around the room.  Only 2 students were allowed at a center so I only put 2 pieces of velcro on each poster.  When there are no more spots to stick your picture - move to a new center!


I had an aide at each center (expect read to self) to help the students.  I gave each aide a binder describing exactly what to do and tracking sheets to monitor students work/progress.

I really liked this system because it gaves students a choice and they rotated who they were with.  The problem I had with this was the aides left their centers to take breaks and to take kids to therapies.  At that point, there was nobody to assist the students with tasks like reading sight words so I changed things up again...stay tuned to see what I did! (I promise it won't take a month to post again!)